Stay Connected

Facebook Twitter Google+ pinterest You Tube

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Cloth diapers have came so far

I started cloth diapering when my 30 year old was born. It was the old way then. Everyone else pretty much, used disposables. I remember Pampers came in a big cardboard box then, I was given a box as a baby shower gift. I saved them for times that we went away long distances like to visit my grandparents. Cloth diapers were big flat white cloths that we folded into the shape of a diaper. We would then fold a second one to make an insert. For naps, overnight or going out we used rubber pants to keep the little ones from having leaks onto their clothing.


I often heard "Why would you go through all that when there are these throw away diapers"? If they knew I used a wringer washer and hung to dry I'd usually hear more rather it was agreeing with me or giving me slack! Cloth diapering just made so much sense to me. Just because I was stubborn and wanted to prove a point I added the cost of weekly diapers then subtracted the initial cost. Then I bought a dryer and following that replaced our wringer washer. Cloth diapering definitely paid for itself many times over. Now, I am not saying that it is for everyone or even the best choice for everyone although, for me it certainly was.


Fast forward 30 years - There are colored cloth, printed, designed, and personalized! Hook N'loop, velcro and snap. Newborn through 40 lbs., 3 row snaps, hip snaps, leg gussets and I'm sure much more! All with PUL to keep from leaking and blowouts, I believe they call em'! - I am just wowed almost in time for my granddaughter to be potty trained. Whew, was I ever schooled! Lol


What made you decide cloth or not to cloth?

2 comments:

  1. Disposable diapers only make sense if you are out and about and don't have access to a washer and dryer. Otherwise, cloth diapers are the sane choice.

    It boggles my mind why most modern parents prefer the added expense (and added rubbish) of disposables. Convenience? Bah, the second you become a parent, you're in for a ton of hard work. One little diaper is not going to make that much of a difference in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work it is but the love makes up for it all!

      Delete