My cousin Jhazmin Gonzalez of Delmar, Maryland was on her way home on August 8th when she realized a friend of friend's home was blazing with smoke and fire! She seen a teenage boy in an upstairs window on the back side of the house. Obviously traumatized by the fire and smoke he sat there as the smoke poured in. Thinking quickly Jhazmin found a ladder laying by the house. As she screamed for anyone to help she tried to lift the ladder up to him. Two young teenage girls heard her and helped her get the ladder to the window.
The boy, 15 year old Taner was in shock and would not come through the window. His mother was screaming that her boy was inside the fire as the fire department arrived. A firemen ran to the back of the house and was able to talk Taner out onto the ladder Jhazmin had put up. A policemen named "Andrew" said "God made the ladder available."
Mr. Cakir said Jhazmin was a hero, he was thankful for her and that she was passing by at that time. As for their family home, it is a total loss.
The last few days have been full of television broadcasts about Jhazmin as a hero but of course she doesn't agree. She says she was just a woman at the right place at the right time! The Cakir's disagree.
Jhazmin has always been a warm hearted person out to help any person or animal in need. Her goal as a child was to be a pediatrician or a veterinarian. I think helping people has always been her calling!
Has any of your friends or family helped in an emergency? I believe every service member is a hero in their own right! Jhazmin's sister Tatyanna is an airforce women and we are very proud of her also!