Stay Connected

Facebook Twitter Google+ pinterest You Tube

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Finding Out I Have Breast Cancer


I'm kind of worried that this isn't a good subject to write about and I struggled with it for a short time, then I decided I would let my readers make the choice. In September of this year I noticed a few pore like things on my right breast and assumed they were some kind of sweat glands or something. After all breast cancer is inside the breast, not outside. I don't have any history of breast cancer in my family. Therefore, nothing to worry about. End of September beginning of October is when I get my yearly mammogram anyway, no worries.

Wrong, I called my doctor and she added more tests to my mammogram for October 3rd. October 3rd, 2014, I will never forget that day. I woke up in the morning with my right breast oddly proportioned, red and warm. The pore like things were everywhere not just on the top. It was almost twice the size of the left breast and let's just say, I already have some huge boobs. It was so tender that I went to the hospital for my tests with no bra on. A large no no in our society. Embarrassing to say the least.

I had a different test first, then my mammogram. The technician kept trying to get ahold of the doctor "just to make sure I didn't need any more pictures." Very odd, I had never had this happen before. The technician had always decided for herself if she had taken each position. The doctor never came and I was sent home (due to October being breast cancer awareness month - that is what this post was suppose to be about)with pink candies and a pretty pink pen. I can't look at that pen by the way, it is some odd memory of something I'd rather forget.

I was to wait for the technician to call me later in the afternoon. Instead my personal doctor called me and told me that this was the last thing she wanted to tell me but, that she had made the first possible appointment that she could with her favorite surgeon because she trusted him and FINALLY because I need treatment for breast cancer. I instantly sobbed, no way was this happening to me! Breast Cancer is something I support, pay money into, have lost 2 very close women to, not something I was suppose to have now or ever. I told her to cancel the appointment, that I wasn't going through all that just to die. I did take the appointment to appease her but I still feel the way I did ... until one of my children walk into the room.

Have you or anyone you know had breast cancer?

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry...I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers to you, and thank you for sharing such an important topic. Stay strong and get well. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good topic to write about. Others need to be aware of this. Thankfully I do not know anyone with Breast Cancer and I hope I never do. Sending prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this Gladys :( I am praying so hard for you right now! Keep blogging about this. We are all here for you. XOXO Stay strong! There are so many support groups out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proud of you for blogging about this even though it is really personal. I'm sending hugs and strength to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gladys, I admire your courage in sharing something so difficult on your blog. I'm going to pray for you during this awful time. Never be afraid or ashamed to be real on your blog or hesitate in sharing something you need to get off your chest. We are all here to support you and fight the fight with you, even if it's just words of encouragement. Big, huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glady's sorry to hear this has happen to you. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete