Stay Connected

Facebook Twitter Google+ pinterest You Tube

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Day My Father Was Diagnosed With Cancer

The day started out like any other. My granddaughter Leah had spent a few hours here with me. We colored and played. My son Bobby had stopped with Tim Horton's coffee (my fave) before going to work, he works second shift. We had a nice visit which isn't always the case. I was reading an article on one of the online news sites when the phone rang. It was my sister, telling me my father had went to the ER the night before.

A little background; My parents bought my grandparents house many years ago when they, my grandparents, moved to Florida. After we all grew up and moved away my father turned the upstairs and one side of their huge house into two separate apartments. A few years back my sister and her 2 children moved into the three bedroom on the side. She, unlike me, loves the country life. When my mother was ill having my sister right next door, literally, was a Godsend. My mother passed two years ago as many of you know. Since then my brother has moved in upstairs, therefore, my father has all the company he needs but they don't actually live together. An awesome set up.

Hearing my sister say my father had went to the emergency room sent fear rushing through me as he doesn't believe in doctors, for the rest of the family of course he does and he never minded paying the doctor bills but he himself has not been to see a doctor since I was in Jr.High. His last hospital stay was in 1956 to have his appendix removed. She went on to say that he had been seen by two Drs. They ran tests on him all night long and the outcome they concurred on was bladder cancer. Seldom does a Dr. come out and say that "C" word unless they are sending you for testing or have already concluded that to be true. Hearing this not only sent fear, my legs turned to jelly, my stomach became sick and passing out was close. I had to get myself together. My oldest son had to be told before he heard it from someone else in the family. He was born with issues that made him special to all of us. He doesn't socialize or get attached to many. I believe if he were born now he would also be diagnosed with autism. My parents were always very close to him and my father has always been his best friend, his mentor, a huge part of his little world. Plus my other three children needed to be told. This wasn't going to be easy.

Since that day there has been many more tests and doctor visits. The entire family has been told, and everyone is shaken. I can't possibly explain everything in one post so I will space them out. No one needs too much doom and gloom in one sitting. I have had other people close to me pass away from cancer and it emotionally took its toll but my father is something all together different. I have been close to my father well, as far back as I can remember. I'm not sure this is something I can get through. Being able to share this with you all gives me a bit of control, obviously it doesn't really but to me it feels like it.

Have you had a friend or family member diagnosed with cancer?



My father and my brother's family

11 comments:

  1. My prayers are with your family. I lost my dad to cancer in 2004.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you and I'm sorry to hear that.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry!! I will pray and hope the best for you and your family. None of us have been diagnosed with cancer, but I am 29 and lost my father last year very unexpectedly... I would never wish that feeling upon anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you and I'm sorry to hear about your father.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. My father died from lung and bone cancer when I was 17 and my Mum died from ovarian and bowel cancer when I was 21.I am 52 now and still remember as clearly as if it was yesterday. My heart goes out to you and your family XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you were so young, I feel a bit foolish at my age. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through and my prayers are with all of you. My mother passed away from cancer eight years ago and I miss her terribly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, I doubt missing them ever goes away.

      Delete
  5. You will get through it but it will be very painful. I understand the love a daughter has for Dad. My Dad was diagnosed with dementia at the young age of 65. He was my very best friend and in the end, he did'nt know who I was. I thought I did not want to live on this earth without him, but I am alive and he is gone. I'm not gonna lie, It still hurts! It just hurts a little less. I am wishing you strength to hold it together for you and your family.Much love to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete