Stay Connected

Facebook Twitter Google+ pinterest You Tube

Monday, July 27, 2015

PREGNANT? Your INSURANCE company may have a nice GIFT for YOU!

In 2010 when the Affordable Care Act (ACA) also known as "Obamacare" was passed some parts were strewn on every website, television station, magazine and newspaper. There were some parts of the plan that were not highly publicized.  Some people were happy with the new changes and most were not. One of the better things coming from this new healthcare reform was a gift so to speak for
expecting mom's and
their newborn babies (maybe up until weaning age, although I am not positive.)  Insurance companies are required to pay all or a portion of your new breast pump.  Why? Other than it is the right thing to do, healthcare providers know that breastfed babies are healthier than their bottle fed counter parts.  I mean no disrespect to those that have chosen to bottle feed as I bottle fed my own four children. The insurance company's are to pay for the supplies and support. The type, plan and network of your insurance is what decides the amount or portion that will be covered. Most private insurances will pay up to 100% of the cost.

As I understand it the woman would get in touch with either her insurance company to make sure they participate (most insurance companies are required to participate, 77% say they do.) Then (or even if they did not talk to the health insurance provider) the next step would be to contact a healthcare company that sells breast pumps. Most insurance companies that pay for breast pumps also pay for lactation counseling. I have listed a few of the breast pump distributors down below.

Christina's Set

From The Medela Wedsite:
Best for Baby:
Research shows that breastfed infants have fewer and shorter episodes of illness.
Breastfeeding is the most natural and nutritious way to encourage your baby’s optimal development.
Colostrum (the first milk) is a gentle, natural laxative that helps clear baby’s intestine, decreasing the chance for jaundice to occur.
The superior nutrition provided by breastmilk benefits your baby’s IQ.
Breastfeeding is a gentle way for newborns to transition to the world outside the womb.
The skin-to-skin contact encouraged by breastfeeding offers babies greater emotional security and enhances bonding.
The activity of sucking at the breast enhances development of baby’s oral muscles, facial bones, and aids in optimal dental development.
Breastfeeding appears to reduce the risk of obesity and hypertension.
Breastfeeding delays the onset of hereditary allergic disease, and lowers the risk of developing allergic disease.
Breastfeeding helps the baby’s immune system mature, protecting the baby in the meantime from viral, bacteria, and parasitic infections.
Breastfeeding increases the effectiveness of immunizations, increasing the protection against polio, tetanus, and diphtheria vaccines.
Breastfeeding protects against developing chronic diseases such as: celiac disease, inflammatory bowel disease, asthma, and childhood cancers.
The benefits of breastfeeding appear to last even after the baby has been weaned.

Lack of Breastfeeding Increases the Risk to the Infant of:
Ear infections
Childhood diabetes
Obesity
Gastrointestinal and diarrheal infections
Childhood cancers
SIDS
Respiratory infections
Allergies
NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis)

Best for Mother:
Research shows that breastfeeding benefits the health of mothers.
Breastmilk is always fresh, perfectly clean, just the right temperature, and is the healthy choice at the least cost!
Increased levels of oxytocin stimulate postpartum uterine contractions, minimizing blood loss and encouraging rapid uterine toning.
From 3 months to 12 months postpartum, breastfeeding increases the rate of weight loss in most nursing mothers.
Breastfeeding offers some protection against the early return of fertility.
Because breastfed babies are healthier, their mothers miss less work and spend less time and money on pediatric care.
Breastfeeding women report psychological benefits such as increased self-confidence and a stronger sense of connection with their babies.

Lack of Breastfeeding Increases the Risk to the Mother of:
Urinary tract infection
Pre-and post-menopausal breast cancer
Ovarian cancer
Osteoporosis

Aeroflow Breastpumps .

Medela Distributors

10 comments:

  1. very interesting,,will pass this on to my daughterin law who is pregnant and planning to breast feed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I formula fed and both my kids and I were just fine. I think it's a personal decision and no one should pressure a mother into doing something she is not comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good information for all those Mothers-to-be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breast feeding is so important! Thanks for helping get the information out there. Pumps can be so expensive. Its nice to have this info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! When I had my son last summer, I got a beautiful new Madela pump. It was such a wonderful gift to be able to pick one up free of charge. The machine that I got typically runs for $400.00

    ReplyDelete
  6. As they say- "Breast is Best!" I breastfed both of my kids, I'd have it no other way. I get that some people don't want to and I know it's really hard for some mom's who want to, to be able to produce enough milk to feed, or for working moms to be able to maintain their supply. I received a free Medela breast pump when my son was born last summer, I still use it. It was such a gift. The type of pump that I got typically retails for over $400.00.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I pumped for months for each of my 3 preemies, but my insurance never covered the pump! Ridiculous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great incentive for breastfeeding moms. I will pass this on to my pregnant friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many benefits a baby can get when he or she is breastfed. I'm sure this program will encourage more moms to breastfeed their babies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's definitely a positive perk to the whole package. I hope lots of new moms take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete