Stay Connected

Facebook Twitter Google+ pinterest You Tube

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Women's Equality Day and National Dogs Day (together)?


When I was much younger I read a book written from a teenagers perspective about winning the vote. The right for women to vote here in America. I was astounded at some of ways life was for women back then. Also the many things women had to go through to get that right. As far back as 1848 (in N.Y.) there were known marches, sit ins, rallies and although they were all peaceful demonstrations some were very dangerous.

Women’s Equality Day doesn't just commemorate the passage of the 19th Amendment, it also calls attention to women’s continuing strides toward full equality. Many places private and public participate in programs to remember what was and what still needs to change.

In 1971, due to Representative Bella Abzug a Democrat from New York State, Congress designated August 26 as “Women’s Equality Day.” The date was chosen to commemorate the 1920 passage of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution. Giving women the right to vote.

Now I would like to know how National Dogs Day ended up on the same date?


August 26th is National Dog Day, a day to celebrate dogs (w/ideas)


Maybe it is because good things come in two's (the answer to the above question.)  I have a precious German Shepherd Chow mix and he is my baby. We adopted him when he was just 6 months old. Now his face is mostly white and he has trouble with some of his joints but to me he means more each day.

I often wonder what would have happened to him had we not brought him home that brisk winter day. We weren't looking for a mixed dog. We wanted a German Shepherd like we had laid to rest not many months before. Plus I had heard some pretty scary rumors about Chows and wasn't quite sure if we were up to trying to re-home him especially with 2 grand children 1 and 3. Also our cat is not the friendly type. I'm sure you have arrived at the idea that all went well with the home coming, that would be true except for the cat. She was after him right away and eventually decided instead of roaming the entire house she would claim my son's apartment in the upper part of my house (the dog won't climb the stairs) where she remains to this day.

Ideas to do with your dog to celebrate National Dog Day:

1. Take them on an extra long walk or walk them to a different area.

2. Buy them a special treat you have thought about.

3. Spend some extra love time with them.

4. Buy them a toy they will especially like and play with them.

5. Plan a "play date" with another dog.


Tell me about about your dog(s), I'd love to read about them.


2 comments:

  1. I did not know such days existed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did know about both of these but didn't realize they were on the same day.

    slehan at juno dot com

    ReplyDelete