Stay Connected

Facebook Twitter Google+ pinterest You Tube

Friday, September 4, 2015

My Birthday at Niagara Falls w/ Pictures

I feel horrible, I am so far behind. Posting about my birthday when I haven't even said a word about our vacation. Oh well backward is better than not at all, hopefully.


Our family does something special for each person's birthday. The birthday girl or boy is allowed to choose anything within reason. So far none of the kids have asked for Disney world because we would be in trouble. We covered that by saying within reason. Leah's birthday was August 20th. She couldn't choose between Cleveland Zoo and Waldameer Amusement and Water Park. I think the older two helped her make her choice some. She decided on Waldameer. We all had a wonderful time. I teared,  just a little,  pregnancy hormones I guess. My baby just turned five. Baby for now,  I worry about that just a little. *cringe*

I like to include some form of education on our day-cations and vacations. For mine I usually choose a fun, although, educational day. As you can see my choice was Niagara Falls. We did a little site seeing (and site shopping), then had dinner before going to the actual falls. The restaurant we visited on our way was spectacular. The design, the atmosphere, the service and oh the food yum.



Niagara Falls was as beautiful as ever. The sun glistening off the water made for a beautiful God made portrait. We were all in awe of the beauty. Our two youngest didn't recall having been there before so I knew right then I had made the correct decision in choosing the falls. Due to being native New Yorker's our big event for the day wasn't just watching the falls though. The thrilling part was riding the boat the "Maid of the Mist"! I had thoughts of traveling over to the Canadian side of the falls and riding her back. When they said the three kids had to have passports also I decided against it. That is an expense I'd like to put off a while longer.


Everyone loved the sight of the falls from the river angle. We went fairly close to the actual falls, and the other tourists were saying it compared to being in a low grade hurricane or on land a bit back from a hi grade hurricane. They had given us plastic poncho like coverings ahead of time so that helped, although we still were real wet after. Of course the kids loved the water misting and blowing at us. It was a beautiful sight, all that roaring water pouring down and rolling into the massive river.


Leah thought it was all fun and exciting. Dylan wasn't quite sure what to think of it in the beginning and for a split second I worried about his SPD issues. Turned out he had a grand time and probably would have went on a second time given the chance. Kayla loved it, although she said it was a little chilly at the very end. If a little chilly is the worse complaint in a day, I'll happily take it. When we arrived at home that night there were three sleepy children and that ends any mama's day with a smile.



Where is a beautiful place you have been or would love to visit?


12 comments:

  1. Definitely looks gorgeous. Sounds like you had a lot of fun as well. It does suck that everyone has to have passports or extended licenses to get over to Canada now. But, in the end, it does make sense and is probably for the best. I'm a New Yorker, too! I believe I went to Niagara Falls when I was really little, but that was of course years ago. After seeing these pictures, I think I'm going to have to make the trip within the next year! Glad your family enjoyed the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for the kind words. Yes, I agree we will all be safer for the added protection of needing passports/extended licenses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not gone on a vacation in so long I don't remember when it was exactly. I'd say the one one that stands out in my mind the most is the one when I went up to Vermont with my dog and stayed in a cabin of sorts for 2 weeks. (Luckily for me they did not allow dogs in the actual motel!!)- I simply relaxed and enjoyed --walked with my dog a lot--went oot on the lake rowing-just generally relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had a very nice relaxing vacation. Sometimes our pets are all we need with us to unwind and enjoy ourselves.

      Delete
  4. What a fun trip! Since we were at Niagara Falls in February no boat ride for us but I'd love to return to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful idea, you will probably love the ride and scenery as we did. Christina

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your birthday. Love the pics but I'm like you about the passports..I'll just wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand we must protect our country, although extra money isn't easy to come by. We very much enjoyed the American side. Christina

      Delete
  6. That's odd that the kids needed passports, unless something changed in the last 21 years. I went to Toronto with my HS choir in 1994, and all us teenagers needed was our birth certificates.
    But it looks like you had fun just the same!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we had a wonderful time. The new law came into effect after 9/11. A way of protecting at least one border I guess. Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been to Niagara Falls would love to see it someday. Your birthday ideas are a great idea! I love the picture of you with the falls in the background - different b/c you are only in the bottom corner of the photo but it is very cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I want to go to Niagra Falls some day - its on our "Family Travel Bucket List" :)

    ReplyDelete