Stay Connected

Facebook Twitter Google+ pinterest You Tube

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Breastfeeding in Public

Providing My Son with the Healthiest Start I Can




I still advocate about breastfeeding wherever I see a need, although, I haven't breastfed in over two years, until last month. Mason was born in December so I haven't been out in public that much. Having had a c-section, the cold, wind etc (we live in NYS) it is easier to stay in. It has been seven weeks with little interaction with the outside world and I have already came across the reason I started breast feeding in public with such boldness. I was a little timid about it the first month or so then it became second nature. Shortly after that I found my place in the breastfeeding world. It was to help normalize what is natural and help other women feel comfortable breastfeeding, in general and in public.

I have no problem breastfeeding any where now. No mom should. When I hear or read the rude and derogatory things people tell other breastfeeding mom's I get angry, so darn angry! I had forgotten how rude and or ignorant some people can be. The word 'ignorant' has not, by definition, been changed. It still means: Destitute of knowledge; uninstructed or uninformed; untaught; unenlightened. Therefore, why must people continue to get upset when someone tells them they are ignorant of the subject of breastfeeding and should not be arguing against it? Only meaning they do not know enough about the subject to debate it. The definition of breast feed is: To feed a baby from a mother's breast. At least everyone can agree to that. 

I have great admiration for Actress Alyssa Milano. She took a stand for her pro breast feeding and pro breastfeeding in public beliefs. Yes, many other great woman have also and they are all truly remarkable. I am writing of Alyssa Milano because as an actress she has a large audience. Her speaking can be spread among many.  Below is a link to a page with a video she did on the air with Wendy Williams (whom was not a fan of Alyssa's beliefs) on "The Wendy Williams Show."

Alyssa Milano defends public breastfeeding to Wendy Williams .
.

Actress Alyssa Milano: "They were not made for sexual things" In a magazine she stated "Normalizing breastfeeding will be a lot more effective in advancing women’s issues and desexualizing breasts," Milano said. "Yes, they’re pretty. And yes, they have a purpose in women’s sexuality. But their main purpose is to feed another human." YAY Alyssa!

This was taken at the Chinese Restaurant




My own brother said "Breastfeeding in public is disgusting and should be considered sexual harassment." I wasn't personally offended, although, I do think he should take the time to learn about the subject and understand what he said was wrong. Breastfeeding your child is the natural way, the healthiest way.


What are your thoughts about breastfeeding? Breastfeeding in public?

No comments:

Post a Comment